FC2ブログ

old Courthouse ; Vega Texas

<<old Courthouse>>
105 S Main, Vega, TX ( Vega に関してはこちら )
関連 Website はこちら





Courtesy of Kathy Weiser,Legends of America.
http://www.legendsofamerica.com/66-main.html

1880 年から Oldham County の郡庁所在地は Tascosa にあったが、Vega が成長するに連れ、
Tascosa は寂れていった。
以前 1884 年に Tascosa に建てられた裁判所があったが、
1915 年特別投票で地元民達が新しい郡庁所在地として Vega を選ぶと、
裁判所が計画され、建築家 O.G.Rouquamore 設計の元、Classical Revival 様式で、すぐに工事が始まった。
完成までは Vega’s Oldham Hotel で郡の実務が執り行われていたが、
完成後は郡そして周辺地域の裁判所としての役割を担っていた。

元々あった屋根の部分は 1967 年に取り除かれ、
その後数回の改修で、北側に増築、南側には刑務所が建てられ、今の形となった。


2015年6月撮影

ちなみに 1884 年創設の Tascosa の Courthouse は Vega に機能を移した後、
1939 年に> Julian Bivins Museum となっている。


<<Courthouse の前庭にあるマーカー>>

関連 Website はこちら
2015年6月撮影
記念碑の両脇にマーカーが。

<Old Tascosa の歴史に関してのマーカー>

2015年6月撮影

Contains one of the famous Boot Hill cemeteries of wild west days and was the gathering place for pleasure-seeking cowboys, gamblers and bad men of the Panhandle in the 1870s and '80s. Outlaws such as Billy the Kid and lawmen like Pat Garrett and Bat Masterson walked its streets. At first an Indian camping place at a crossing on the Canadian River, then Mexican trading point and pastoral settlement, Atascosa (Boggy Place) rapidly became an open-range trading center and capital of a cattle empire from 1876 to 1887. Romero Plaza and Howard and Rinehart store marked the boom in growth. Struggles between large ranch owners like Charles Goodnight and the Little Men of the plains were focused there. Became seat of Oldham County, 1880, and the legal capital of ten unorganized counties. Progress spelled doom for the town. The railroad in 1887 created other important towns and barbed wire fences ended the vital trading routes and great roundups. The open ranges and cattle trails like the famous Dodge City Trail were gone. When county seat was moved to Vega in 1915, few residents remained. Today Old Tascosa retains only the courthouse.

( 西部開拓時代の 1870 年代、1880 年代、荒くれの町で、無法者達が渡り歩いているような場所だったが、
Tascosa の町が急成長して交易の中心地となり、1880 年に Oldham County の郡庁所在地となった。
しかし Vega の町の方が次第に大きくなり、1915 年に郡庁舎が Vega に移された時には、
Tascosa に住民はほとんどいなかった。今では旧裁判所のみが Museum として残っているだけ。)


<Dr. Oscar H. Loyd のマーカー>

2015年6月撮影

(1868-1959) Oldham County's first physician. A civic leader, weather researcher and humanitarian. Born in Kansas, he attended medical school in Missouri, and in 1907 moved to Vega with his wife, Lulu Mills Loyd. Despite opposition from ranchers, he introduced farming to the area; broke sod with county's first steam tractor; exhibited best produce in the county -- first at the Tri-State Fair (which he helped to organize) in Amarillo, and then at state fairs in Iowa, Illinois, Missouri and Texas. A volunteer weather observer for over 30 years, he telephoned daily reports at his own expense to the Amarillo Weather Bureau. His weather notes are now in Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum in Canyon. To make sick calls, Doctor Loyd bought a Maxwell, the first automobile in the county. During the 1918 flu epidemic he not only cared for the sick day and night but also dispensed food and buried the dead. As a civic leader, he organized the county's first chamber of commerce and a baseball team which he transported to its games. He actively sponsored the original Highway 66 Association. His estate was left to religious and charitable groups in the county. (1966)

( Oldham County 最初の医師で、市民リーダー、気象研究者、人道主義者でもあった。
Kansas 州出身で、Missouri の医学部を卒業。妻とともに 1907 年に Vega にやってきて農業を導入。
ボランテイアで毎日天気予報を公表し、急患の為に郡初の車を買い、献身的に病人を助けた。
又郡初の商工会議所と野球チーム、Highway 66 Association を組織した。)


<<Julian Bivins Museum=Boy’s Ranch>>
Julian Bivins St., Boys Ranch TX
1884 年 ~
関連 Website はこちら&こちら&こちら
Museum の画像はこちら



Route 66 の沿線では無いけれど、
Vega と関係の深い場所なので、
機会があれば訪れていただきたい。

Tascosa が郡庁所在地であった時の裁判所を改装して出来た Museum。
Oldham 郡の古い歴史と Cal Farley’s Ranch に関する資料が見れる。

1884 年に建てられ、郡庁所在地が南の Vega へと移る 1915 年まで、
Oldham 郡の裁判所としての役目をしていた。
Texas 平原の中で、最初の政府の建物のひとつとして作られ、
又、政府がいまだ組織づけて無かった 12 の郡の総括の役割も果たしていた。

Tascosa は Wild West の町として評判が悪く、
町が Vega に移った後、この裁判所は一時期使われなかったが、
後に Cal Farley が買い取り、ここに Boy’s Ranch を作った。

Amarillo のビジネスマン Cal Farley は
問題を抱えた少年達を助けるために、
1939 年にここで Boy’s Ranch を始めた。
地方の牧場主である Julian Bivins が、
妻の Berneta と住んでいた 120 エーカーの土地と古い Tascosa の Courthouse を寄付することで、
Mr.Farley の夢の実現を助けた。
ここが今 Juklian Bivins Museum となっている。

今日 Boy’s Ranch はモダンなキャンパスに、
250 人以上の少年少女達が住んで、良い環境と生活の中で教育を受けているキリスト教のコミュニテイで、
訪問者達は歓迎され、食事や Boot Hill の墓地ツアーなどが子供達と一緒に出来る。
Texas Historical Landmark に登録されている。


facebook page  “ 愛しきRoute 66 ( Route 66 on My Mind ) “
facebook group “ 愛しき Route 66 ( Route 66 on My Mind ) “
Pinterest  “ Route 66 “
スポンサーサイト



ルート66 ポータルサイト「愛しきRoute66」 オープン!

Route 66 上のまちについての情報 Blog。
まちの名前は<<< >>>で、
名所や建物などは<< >>で表示。
お気づきの点等はご指摘ください。
Facebook group「愛しきRoute 66」

Illinois 州
Missouri 州
Kansas 州
Oklahoma 州
Texas 州
New Mexico 州
Arizona 州
California 州

Songs of " Route 66 "
Coloring Book Selling Places
Translation
プロフィール

Mariko Kusakabe

Author:Mariko Kusakabe
憧れのアメリカの象徴 Rout66。
走るごとに、その魅力に、その意味の深さに取り憑かれる。
Find on Route 66 what You Lost!
無くしたものが見つかる道。
ここで何かを感じていただきたい。

カレンダー
05 | 2019/06 | 07
- - - - - - 1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 - - - - - -
カテゴリ
最近の記事
月別アーカイブ
最近のトラックバック
最近のコメント
リンク
FC2カウンター
ブロとも申請フォーム

この人とブロともになる